Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Acting instead of Reacting

So I was talking with a good friend of mine about this subject, and she had some very good points. She said "Hard things we go through become harder if we react in a negative way, but if we react positively it just makes things easier.' I believe this with all my heart! I know that hard things come, they do for EVERYONE we can't control that, but we can control our reactions.
D&C 123:17 reads "therefore dearly beloved brethren, let us CHEERFULLY do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."
This is why one of my most favorite quotes is " GREATNESS is best measured by how an individual responds to the happenings of life that are totally unfair, unreasonable, and undeserved." Marvin J. Ashton
I know with personal experiences in my own life how i react makes all the difference! There have been times that I just wanted to feel sorry for myself and I wanted everyone around me to know too so they could feel sorry for me also.  I always ended up feeling worse and dwelling on the negative aspects of the problem, I was so focused on reacting that I was forgetting how to properly act through the problem, I felt justified and validated at acting like a baby. I am not saying we shouldn't let people know what problems we are facing, or ask for help we may need, it is good to talk about our problems with those who love and care for us. And I am sure I will slip up here and there, it is part of our culture and the natural man to act this way:) I know we are not perfect we can't react perfectly to every situation life throws at us but we can do our best. We can try our best to act in a way that is pleasing to our Father in Heaven . We can show him our greatness, we can show him that we are worthy of living with him again.
We should all pray for the strength to be optimistic and positive. Life is going to keep on coming, time is going to continue to pass, you can choose how you react to the things life throws your way.  D&C 58:28 "for the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."
Hope you have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful blog and I can't think of a more wonderful, kind, sweet and charitable, beautiful lady to write this!!
    I look forward to reading your thoughts!!
    You need to come up with a catchy little Allison sign off.. like " hope your soul is nourished today..." or " eat chocolate for you soul.." ( kidding..had to throw chocolate in there!!)
    Good job sweetie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al, you amaze me! I love you! Thank you for starting this blog, it definitely will be something I look at everyday to feel the spirit and remind me to think about the things that really matter in this beautiful life! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute! I am glad that you started this blog. What a good idea. We all need reminders like this to keep our heads up:) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete