Friday, July 9, 2010

Priorities and Balance

I know that I am not alone when I talk about the struggle to have Priorities and Balance in our lives.
This is a tricky subject because there is so many things that need to be done in a day:) Sometimes I look at my mom and say how did you do it? What was your secret. She kindly said to me "There is no secret you just do the best you can, you live in a different world than I did, we didn't have CELL PHONES, COMPUTERS, and all new advances in technology, you have jobs, and education, these are all good, But you constantly have things that are distracting and taking your time, You just have to do better at knowing which are most important to spend your time on."
Julie Beck said "There is much distraction and not enough PEACE & JOY. Despite popular media messages to the contrary, no one is rich enough, beautiful enough, or cleaver enough to avoid mortal experience"
She goes on to talk about how a good woman knows that she doesn't have enough time energy, etc to do all the good things her heart yearns to do.  She then states "The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL that can be acquired in this life."
What an amazing blessing we all have! We don't have every minute planned out everyday, and if we don't do everything our our checklist we are not failures! The most important thing to do is act on personal revelation. If we feel that instead of going here or there we need to just stay home and read book and snuggle a little one, or instead of doing #102 on our daily checklist we feel inspired go visit someone in need :) Then don't feel guilty about doing that! We have to trust our Heavenly Father and when he speaks to us through the Holy Ghost we have to learn to act on it. No matter how many other good things we have to do or how "behind" it will make is on our checklists. : )

Now don't get me wrong I love Checklists! ha ha  They are a good tool to help us accomplish what we need, reach goals, and many other great things. Elder M. Russell Ballard said, "First, think about your life and set your priorities. Find some quiet time regularly to think deeply about where you are going and what you need to do to get there. Jesus our exemplar, often 'withdrew' himself into the wilderness, and prayed" We need to do the same thing occasionally to rejuvenate ourselves spiritually as the Savior did. Write down the tasks you would like to accomplish each day. Keep foremost in mind the sacred covenants you have made with the Lord as you write down your daily schedules." he also went on to say
"Second, set short-term goals that YOU CAN REACH. Set goals that are well balanced, not too many nor too few, and not too high nor too low. Write down your ATTAINABLE goals and work on them according to there importance. Pray for divine guidance in your goal setting."

This is a wonderful thought, I feel we are always setting goals that are too high or to unattainable, and then we beat ourselves up because we can't do them all. I have done it, I am sure there are many others who have done it too. Also we can pray to our Father in heaven about our goals, he can help up more than anyone.
My hope for myself and all of you this week is to PRAY FOR PEACE, pray to have peace in your life no matter how many things you have to do today, if that means crossing off one or two things on your to-do list then do it! And as you attain more peace and joy in your life I promise you will find your self accomplishing more than you ever thought!
Hope your soul was nourished today! :)
Love~ Al

1 comment:

  1. I read Sis Beck's talk a couple weeks ago and also really loved her comment (a good woman knows that she doesn't have enough time energy, etc to do all the good things her heart yearns to do) as it made me feel better about the things I'm not able to do...but I love your point (and Sis. Beck's) that if we will let our day's be governed by inspiration rather than lists we will not only be happier but we'll be a better instrument in the Lord's hands... I think I'll try to do better. Thanks for the reminder;)

    ReplyDelete