Saturday, August 7, 2010

Do your best

"We each do the best we can. My best may not be as good as your best, but it's my best. The fact is that we KNOW when we are doing our best and when we are not. If we are not doing our best, it leaves us with a gnawing hunger and frustration. But when we do our level best, we experience a PEACE."
~Marjorie Hinkley

I love this quote, there is so much truth to the fact that we know when we are trying our best. The problem I face is when I compare my "best" to "others Best's". I feel like: well so and so can do this and this and this, What is my problem? But my goal lately is to not compare, but to focus on my own personal best. And pray for that feeling of peace that comes with that accomplishment. 

Women can be so hard on themselves.  Why do we feel we are never good enough, pretty enough, perfect enough? Why do we always compare? I don't know for sure there are so many individual factors that come into play, but I do know it is a weakness of mine, and many other women I have talked to as well. I have been thinking alot about the word "perfect" I am sure there are many definitions for the word but one I saw was this:  "excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement"
 I like the thought of trying to be COMPLETE, more than perfect. We know that we cannot obtain perfection in this life, but we can strive to be complete in our lives, by doing our own personal best.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Allison! I needed to read this today. I'm that kind of person who never feels that i'm doing enough. But yes- the Lord can give us peace. You are so wonderful. thank you for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so awesome! Thanks for sharing your uplifitng words! I needed this reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete